Monday, April 4, 2011

A hero, almost.

The other day I had to make a Wal-Mart run to pick up a paint brush and some tuna fish - for two unrelated matters.
I went for the paint brush first because it was closer to the entrance and after I had made my selection I headed towards the tuna fish- on the way I saw a small child maybe 4 or 5 hiding inside the shelves of the hardware department -sort of like two aisle are back to back but there is just enough space for a four year old child to climb in between. (by the way aisle is the dumbest spelled word ever.)
I noticed him and thought he must be hiding from his parents but I couldn't see anyone else around. No one was within five aisles.
The first thought was this kid might need help but my second thought was if I try to help this kid and someone finds me with a four year old child in a wal-mart I might end up doing jail time. I don't look like the kind of guy you want hanging out with a four year old - the beard and ponytail can sometimes give off the impression of child murderer to those who don't know better.


The kid wasn't crying or anything like that, and it wasn't like there was some guy with a beard and ponytail watching him while sharpening an ax, so i thought I will go pickup the tuna fish and if he is still here when I come back then I will do something at that point.
I went to get my tuna - $.59 a can - it was a great deal. Then i headed to the checkout counter and went home. I completely forgot about the kid in the hardware department until i was already home for like an hour.

I would like to think that if he would have been my kid then he wouldn't have run away in the first place but if he had then i like to think I would have remembered to look for him - however on both counts I feel I might be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment