Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bottle Shock and Awe

If there is one thing I would like to be known for in my life it would be to save the planet, preferably from some sort of zombie apocalypse; however, until I have the chance to test myself against that scenario I have to settle for just being "green" and recycling.


He must be stopped.

A few days ago I noticed that the local grocery store had installed something that looked like a Pepsi vending machine, however on closer inspection it was some sort of recycle box robot - it has the basic touch screen display and two holes to place plastic bottle and aluminum cans. It also had some sort of card which is used to track the amount you recycle and give you some sort of points which you can redeem for something later on - not that I cared much about that part, I was just excited to see there was a place to drop off my plastic bottles.
Today I gathered all the plastic bottles I could find and grabbed the little plastic card and went to the store for my first chance to use this thing.
right off the bat I knew there were going to be problems, I touched the screen and it took like nine times before the machine recognized my card. Once it did it asked me a ton of questions - What is your zip code? What is your email address? What is your blood type? The machine knew what it was doing because it asked the easy question first, but it just went on forever and ever. My guess is to compile a shopper profile and spam my email address.
15 minutes later i was told to deposit my bottles, I put the first bottle in and the machine starts beeping at me - the screen says we do not recognize this bottle. In fact after further reading that machine only accepts Pepsi bottles - not coke, not sprite, no other p1 plastics  - Just 20 oz Pepsi Bottles!!!
So I looked around saw that no one was watching and crammed a trash bag full of some sort of Asian Ice Tea bottles into this machine. I also might have kicked the machine and said a few choice words about its mother.  Had I a gun at the time it's fake recycling days would have been over. In fact the only thing that kept me from throwing a rock into its brain is that I had just filled out about 12 pages of personal information before it told me it would take my bottles.
It was actually  an eye opening experience.  I jumped from being excited to do something nice for the planet to engulfed in pure rage at the idea of a giant soda company stealing my email address and refusing to help me recycle my bottles. So maybe the fact that I can't even recycle a few bottles at the store is a good indication that defending the world against zombie hordes is not for me. I guess if like a small group of bunnies take over or kittens enslave us all I could at least put up a fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment