Tuesday, March 22, 2011

City/State Nicknames

I have been thinking about city nicknames lately - New York gets some of the good ones "The Empire City,"  "The City That Never Sleeps," and for some reason "The Big Apple." I think one of the reasons that my little town of Joplin has not taken off and found the success of a city like Chicago or New York is that we don't have a good city nickname. Currently it's "Joplin: Now with an Applebee's." I would rather see something that speaks for our industries like abandoned video rental stores or Wal-Mart Supercenters.
"Joplin: Need a garden hose and bologna at 2 a.m. - we can do that." or "Joplin: No Late fees."


"There can be only one," Netflix.


It's not an isolated incident, the state's nickname sucks too - "the show me state," it sounds more like the slogan of strip club then a state nickname. I would like to change the nickname to something more fresh  and urban like "Joplin: Awwwww Yeah!" Maybe it could be a little more honest like Oklahoma's state motto, "Oklahoma is Ok." They aren't claiming to be great or even good, they are just ok. It's like saying "this place isn't Disneyland but it isn't the Gaza Strip either." I guess it could be worse i mean Iowa's State Motto is "corn." Still I wouldn't mind a nickname that made all the other states take notice and watch there backs like "Missouri: The what are you looking at state." or "Missouri: fuck off dicknose."

No comments:

Post a Comment