Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Carl Sagan

When I was about 11 or 12 years old I watched Carl Sagan's PBS miniseries "Cosmos" for the first time. Since then I have seen it nearly 20 times and read nearly everything the man ever wrote - even the fiction stuff like "Contact" which was made into a movie in 1997 starring an openly gay women and a closeted homosexual as love interests - the space travel through wormholes was more believable in this film then these two being in a relationship.
Awkward. Seriously just go for broke and cast Nathan Lane and Ellen Degeneres.

Anyway, long story short I love Carl Sagan. I don't think anyone else I have ever read has affected me as much as his work. He not only opened my eyes to science and astronomy but to philosophy and different ways of looking at the world.

In one of the chapters in the book Cosmo, which the miniseries is based, he talked about the formation of atoms inside of stars and how once those stars die those atoms are not destroyed, they become something else. He explained that every atom in our body, and all of those around us were once apart of stars and one day will be again. Sure maybe it's a little too Pink Floyd laser light show for some people - but the thing about Carl Sagan that I liked so much was that it was like "pot talk," only it was real and it made you look at the world around you in different ways.
So with that being said I thought I would post a video which someone else made online - I, of course, didn't make it, but i really liked it. Most of the film clips and audio used were actually taken from the PBS cosmos and someone out there had a lot of time on there hands.

1 comment:

  1. I've got a couple VHS tapes recorded in 1990 from a TNT rebroadcast of "Cosmos." I still can't watch it. Even with pot.

    But it's brought to us by Exxon. Buckwheat was shot, and Exxon is there.

    ReplyDelete