Friday, March 11, 2011

Racist Foods

If there is one thing I have learned while doing this blog it is that the audience likes two things: Food and Exposing Racists. This instalment should combine both of those things.

This morning when I went into the kitchen I noticed something very strange. Perhaps it was due to the phase of the moon or my strange sleeping schedule of late but for some reason my racism detector was going off the charts.
I grabbed a camera and snapped a few photos of the items I found in my own kitchen that are clearly racist, in fact I feel a little ashamed just showing them to everyone. Not that I won't eat them, shame can taste pretty good if it is cooked right.
No shocker here, Aunt Jemima is practically a racial slur for some people.  This one is a double whammy  because it's a bag of white corn meal - That's practically a metaphor for ethnic cleansing. This company has at least made some effort to get away from the racist vibe of their image over the years - here is what it originally looked like.

As much as I like pancakes and cornbread i could live without them If I had to but I could not live without eating Chinese food, particularly fried rice with oyster sauce.



Hopsing Oyster Sauce, as if the racist stereotype of a spokes model wasn't bad enough they are calling it Hopsing! Unless you are actually talking about the cook from "Bonanza," and you refer to someone of Asian descent as "Hopsing," you are a racist. This would be like putting a picture of John Popper from Blues Traveler on a mayonnaise jar and calling it "Honky Sauce." I am not saying I wouldn't buy it, but it wouldn't be a pretty offensive.

And for course this might be a stretch but I am pretty sure white people should be offend when they see the way they are represented by the Campfire Marshmallow company.


2 comments:

  1. Still, we've come a long way from the days of Nigger's Choice Bran Muffins.

    ReplyDelete